Monday nights are casserole nights in my apartment - I have a night class, so I come home in the afternoon and put something together, then throw it in the fridge and leave instructions for my boyfriend to cook it when he gets home. Most of these are very unpostable, Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup affairs. This one, on the other hand, was quite good and not at all trashy.
Shrimp and Broccoli Rabe Quiche
1 pie crust, blind-baked (I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen cut in half and minus sugar, but any will do)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
zest of 1 lemon
1 bunch broccoli rabe, roughly chopped
1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined and roughly chopped
Salt and Pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup half-and-half (or 1/4 cup each cream and milk)
1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and lemon zest and saute until the onion is soft.
2. Add the broccoli rabe and toss to coat with the oil. Cook, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes, stirring, until the greens are reduced to less than one quarter of their starting size.
3. Add the shrimp and season well. Cook until the shrimp are pink and opaque. Taste and re-season. Transfer the whole mixture to the pie crust.
4. Sprinkle the cheese over the filling.
5. Combine the eggs, half-and-half, and nutmeg. Season liberally with salt and pepper, then whisk.
6. Pour the egg mixture slowly over the filling, giving it some time to settle in. Stop just before it reaches the lowest point of the crust. The top of the filling may not be covered, but that's OK.
7. Bake the quiche, uncovered, in the 375F oven for 30-45 minutes, until the center is set. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
8. Serve and enjoy!