Google
 

04 May 2008

Dorie Greenspan's World Peace Cookies

I have a confession to make: I'm a bit of a show-off. So, when I found out that my classmates and I would be taking turns bringing snacks for a particularly long class, I knew that I would have to bring something fantastic. Luckily, for my birthday a few weeks ago, I was given Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours, which turned out to be a treasure trove of recipes. There are, quite literally, fewer than five that I would not make.

So I decided to make these double-chocolate shortbread cookies, and they were a hit. I was thrilled with the results (and with the leftovers!). So, here is the recipe, with a few slight modifications.

Dorie Greenspan's World Peace Cookies

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 stick plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cups packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (or fleur de sel)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 ounces (about 3/4 cup) chopped chocolate (I used milk, the recipe calls for bittersweet) or mini chips

1. Sift the flour, cocoa, and baking powder.

2. Beat the butter with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer (or a hand mixer) until light and fluffy. Add the sugars, salt, and vanilla and cream together, again until light and fluffy.

3. Turn off the mixer and add the flour mixture all at once. Cover the mixer with a towel and pulse about 5 times. Check to see if the flour has been incorporated at all. If it hasn't, pulse a few more times. If it has, mix just until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Add the chopped chocolate and mix quickly.


4. Turn the dough out of the mixer and use your hands to form it into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap well and chill for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days (it can be frozen for up to 2 months, just add a minute to the cooking time - no need to thaw).

5. Preheat the oven to 325F. Unwrap the log of dough (if you like, roll it in about 1/4 cup of sugar) and cut it into 1/2 inch rounds. Place on a baking sheet 1 inch apart. If they crack, just press them back together. Bake for 12 minutes. Dorie notes that they won't look done or be firm, they that's how they should be. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let rest until just warm or room temperature. Makes about 36 cookies.

5 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

They look great! I've wanted to make these for ages.

Chris Simon said...

These look fabulous! One question, though. I don't see where the chopped chocolate is added. Is it added as is, or is it melted first? Can't wait to try these

Rachel said...

Thanks!

Chris, thanks for catching that - I'm off to edit the recipe now, but the chocolate is added at the end of mixing.

Brilynn said...

You can't go wrong with a Dorie recipe, these are great!

Chris Simon said...

I made these the other day, and my kids and I think they're fabulous. Very rich and chocolaty. Thanks for the recipe!