Google
 

17 April 2008

Weekend Herb Blogging #129: Zucchini/Courgette


This week's edition of Weekend Herb Blogging is hosted by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook, and I'll be writing about one of my favorite vegetables, just beginning to come into season around here: zucchini.

Until I started doing a bit of research for this post, I thought (as I think most people do) that zucchini was a vegetable. Little did I know, it isn't! It's a fruit. See? You just learned something!

Anyway, this is one of my favorite ways to prepare zucchini, because it really lets the flavor shine through.

Grilled Zucchini

4 zucchini, washed and sliced either diagonally or lengthwise
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter (optional)

1. After slicing the zucchini, preheat your largest grill pan to medium to medium-high. I don't know if this would work on a real grill - the zucchini gets fairly soft and I suspect it would fall apart on the grates.

2. Drizzle the slices, on one side, very lightly with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.



3. Put the slices, seasoned-side down, on the grill pan. Drizzle and season the second side. If all of the zucchini doesn't fit, you can work in batches and keep it in a warm oven.


4. Cook on the first side until the zucchini begins to look transparent, about 5 minutes. Turn over. If your grill pan is like mine and has warm and cool spots, rotate the slices around to make sure that all the slices get grill marks on at least one side.


5. Cook on the other side for about another five minutes. If you want to, during the last minute of cooking, melt the butter in the pan - it will flavor the zucchini a bit more.

6. Serve and enjoy!


Today, I'm reading... Of Love And Other Demons, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Delicious in its simplicity! Thanks, Rachel, for joining in WHB!

Kalyn Denny said...

I'm a big fan of grilled zucchini as well. I love to grill the round ones!