I believe I have mentioned my love of mashed potatoes in the past. I can't imagine that I haven't. Anyway, I have a deep and abiding love for all things mashed potato. But, even the best loves can get boring.
So, outside of the ordinary loading and gravies and such, how does one jazz up mashed potatoes? Roasting, of course!
Smashed Roasted Potatoes
4 medium-large Yukon Gold Potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 stick salted butter
1 tablespoon heavy cream (or milk or half-and-half)
1. Toss the potatoes with the olive oil and salt and pepper and spread in a baking pan or sheet.
2. Roast at 450F for 30 minutes, or until very tender and well-browned.
3. Use a fork to smash the potatoes and mix in the softened butter. I find that it's easiest to break the potatoes in the baking pan, then scrape them into a bowl and mix.
4. Add the cream, and wait for the butter to melt.
5. Season with more salt and pepper to taste, serve, and enjoy!
I just finished reading... Angela's Ashes, by Frank McCourt.