Google
 

18 March 2008

Home Fries

After the response I got to my homemade pasta post, I've realized what my posts are missing: pictures! So, from now on, I'm going to try to include more pictures for most of my normal posts.

I'm not generally one for breakfast. I like breakfast food, but in the morning, I just don't want to cook. During the week, breakfast usually consists of cold cereal (oatmeal if I'm feeling adventurous), if it consists of anything other than tea or coffee. So, on the weekends, breakfast normally happens around lunchtime. Either way, it's a good way to start the day and it's always very yummy. And really, with potatoes and bacon, where can you go wrong?



Home Fries

6 slices bacon, sliced into 1/4" strips
2-3 Yukon Gold or other waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper

1. In a large skillet or pot, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Remove the bacon fat from the pan, except for 1 tablespoon.
2 . Add the butter and olive oil to the pan, and saute the onion until translucent. Add the mustard and thyme.


3. Add the potatoes to the pan and toss to coat with the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Over medium heat, cover the pan and let the potatoes cook for about five minutes, then stir.


4. Again, cover the pan and stir. Keep repeating this process until the potatoes are cooked through and crispy and the onions are caramelized.


5. Once the potatoes are well-browned and cooked through, add the bacon back to the pan and cook until it is warmed back through. Serve and enjoy!


Currently, I'm reading... The Gathering, by Anne Enright.

1 comment:

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Potatoes and bacon can NEVER be wrong!