Google
 

05 March 2008

Green Onion Risotto

As I was stuck in bed with my second bout of flu this winter, I was faced with an interesting dilemma: I didn't want to get up, much less stand up for 30 minutes, but I really, really wanted risotto. Naturally, I chose the risotto. Luckily, I did manage to get through cooking it without having to drag a dining room chair into the kitchen.

This was major comfort food for me - it warmed me up and seemed to do a great job setting me on the road to feeling better. It may be my new chicken soup when I'm feeling under the weather.



Green Onion Risotto

4-6 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

1. Bring the stock up to a simmer in a saucepan.
2. In a large pot, melt the tablespoon of butter into the tablespoon of olive oil over medium-low. Saute the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent. Add the rice and toss until the grains are coated with oil (add more oil if necessary).
3. Remove the pan from the heat and add the wine. Return to the heat and stir constantly until the wine is almost fully evaporated/absorbed. Add the stock, about half a cup at a time, stirring after each addition and waiting until it is almost fully absorbed before adding more.
4. After 2 or 3 stock additions, toss in the green onions and season with pepper. Hold off on seasoning with salt until you've added the cheese at the end.
5. After about 20-30 minutes of adding and stirring, the rice should be al dente and creamy (the only way to know is to taste it). You can stop adding stock. Turn the heat to low, add the butter, olive oil, and cheese, and stir until the butter and cheese have melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Currently, I'm reading... If He Hollers Let Him Go, by Chester Himes.

No comments: