Google
 

19 February 2008

Am I a Cupcake Hero? - Mint Julep Cupcakes

These delicious morsels are my entry for Cupcake Hero: Liquor, hosted by quirky cupcake and Tempered Woman.Yes, it's a green cupcake. It also has whiskey in it. Perfect for St. Patricks' Day next month, no?

I'm not going to lie to you, I had no idea how these were going to turn out when they went into the oven. It's the first time I've made my own cake recipe, and the first time I've had this much liquor in my oven. Once they started baking, though, I knew it would all turn out well - the house smelled sooo good! And, true to my expectations, they were delicious.


Mint Julep Cupcakes

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
4 eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Jack Daniels (or other whiskey/bourbon)
1/2 cup Creme de Menthe

3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mint extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
milk

1. Preheat the oven to 350F, and grease or line 36 cupcake cups.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the extracts, salt, baking powder, and 1 3/4 cups of the flour.
3. Add the milk and liquors to the batter, then the rest of the flour. Mix as little as possible, just until the batter comes together.
4. Divide evenly (I use an ice-cream scoop) among the cupcake cups. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool.
5. To make the icing, combine the powdered sugar, salt, extracts and melted butter. (I think this works best with a stand mixer with the whip attachment or a hand-held mixer.) Add milk very slowly until the texture is right for piping.
6. When the cupcakes are completely cook, pipe or spread the icing on top and enjoy!

2 comments:

Tempered Woman said...

Very cewl~ you are the first so far as I know to think ahead. Most entries have been for VDay. Very smart cause now I HAVE to make these ;-)
And you are one gutsy chick, ehhrr, chef. You broke out the JD. Deserves major points in my book!

Anonymous said...

when are the 4 eggs added? They aren't mentioned at all...