Google
 

06 January 2008

Weekend Herb Blogging: Edamame


The host of this week's Weekend Herb Blogging is Kalyn.

Edamame is the green, not-yet-hardened soybean. It is harvested between the time it becomes ripe and the time that it begins to harden. Hardened soybeans are used to produce most familiar soy applications. While edamame began as the term for the bean itself, through common use it has transformed into a name for the dish comprised of boiled soybeans with salt. Here, however, I am using it to refer to the soybeans.

Soybeans are generally accepted as a complete protein, however, there is some debate among scientists. However, they do contain many of the amino acids (if not all) that the human body cannot produce on its own. They are also believed to help prevent colon cancer.

I have never been able to get my hands on fresh edamame here in Maryland, so I'll be using frozen, which can be found with a little searching around. Being familiar with the boiled-in-the-pod with salt edamame, I wanted to do something a little different and a little more complex, but that still showcased the flavor of the edamame first and foremost. I think this dish fits the bill quite nicely.


Roasted Salt and Pepper Edamame

1 bag frozen edamame, out of the pod
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. In a baking dish, spread the edamame to ensure that they will be no thicker than a double layer in the dish. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Use your fingertips to thoroughly toss the edamame with the oil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly once coated.
3. Roast for 20-30 minutes. Can be served warm or cooled.

Notes
- It is not necessary to thaw the edamame, although it will result in crispier beans.
- You could add almost any flavoring you like, and kosher salt and be substituted for the sea salt if you don't have sea salt on hand.

4 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

I just love edamame. I buy the frozen ones too, and they're one of the main things I'll take to school as a snack. I just put a handful into a little plastic bag in the fridge at night, then take it to work with me and by the time I eat them the next day they're thawed. I love this idea of roasting them, I bet they are just completely delicious cooked this way!

Kristen - Dine & Dish said...

Happy New Year!
I wanted to let you know that you have been matched in the adopt a blogger event. Please visit each others websites and revisit the initial adopt a blogger post as a reminder of the expectations for this event.
Thanks for participating and have fun getting to know each other!
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kristen
Dine and Dish

Your match: http://www.trialsnerror.blogspot.com/



Adopt a blogger post:
http://dineanddish.squarespace.com/dine-and-dish-blog/2007/11/16/adopt-a-food-blogger-a-blogging-event.html

Nabeela said...

Hi Rachel!
I've been matched to you in the Adopt a Blogger event....Kristen sure seems to have done a good job. We're both students...and both like to experiment :)

Brilynn said...

I love edamame!

Welcome to the Daring Bakers and good luck with this month's challenge!